Vitiligo and Yoga
Vitiligo is a condition after the body status of autoimmunity. The melanocyte cells gets dead which causes absence of pigments over the skin. It is termed as vitiligo.
Yoga is very effective in vitiligo. As yoga detoxifies the body & mind it is helpful to cope up with the condition of autoimmunity.
There are some asanas which are really helpful with Ayurvedic treatment of vitiligo and leucoderma.
Yoga asanas to help vitiligo patients:
Pranayama (Breathing exercise)
Pranayama is yoga of breath control. Pranayama means:
Prana - life energy, Yama - discipline , Ayama – expansion.
Pranayama is a prior stage of meditation.
How to do Pranayama?
1. Firstly sit in a calm & silent place. Close your eyes. Concentrate on your breathing.
2. Now close your right nostril with the right thumb. Simply press and clip the thumb against your nostril to close it.
3. Inhale slowly through the left nostril till your lungs fills with air. Allow the lungs to expand forcing the abdomen out, then feel your chest expand.
4. Remove the thumb from your right nostril and immediately close your left nostril.
5. Exhale slowly and completely with the right nostril. Feel the lungs deflating, and abdomen shrinking. When you’ve finished exhaling, keep your left nostril closed.
6. Inhale through the right nostril. Fill your lungs again.
7. Close the right nostril and open the left.
8. Exhale slowly through the left nostril.
This process is one round of Pranayama. Continue it for 10 minutes. You can take a minute's rest after every five minutes of pranayama.
Other than Pranatama Kapalbhati asana is also helpful in vitiligo management during treatment.
*The above mentioned parctice should be done under trained yoga practitioners initially.