Vitiligo Food & Diet chart for Vitiligo Treatment & Prevention
Vitiligo is mainly an autoimmune problem and for its treatment Ayurveda is considered best as it works on strengthening the disturbed immune system of body. A proper immune system helps in treatment & prevention of Vitiligo. Thus, the kind of diet which helps in improving immune system is seen helpful in control of white spots. This kind of diet not only helps in spread control but also helps in faster healing of spots. Adding food items rich in vitamin D, vitamin B12 are such food items. Recent study suggests about consumption of beta-carotene which is found in carrots.
Some Food Restriction Tips for Vitiligo patients:
1. Some food items like juicy fruits rich in vitamin C or ascorbic acid such as oranges and lemon, other fermented food items as curd, alcohol, Fish, red meat are to be avoided as they have harmful effect on vitiligo and can give rise to spreading of patches.
2. It has been seen that Turmeric slows down pigmentation rate & responsible for depigmentation and is good for fairness. So, turmeric application & raw intake has to be avoided in Vitiligo. Moreover it’s a great antiseptic.
3. Beetroot & Carrots actually helps in pigmentation. These can be helpful in faster pigmentation.
4. Almost 70% of Vitiligo patients suffer from Vitamin D3 deficiency. Taking Vitamin D3 supplement helps in control of spots. These also promote pigmentation along with Ayurvedic treatment.
5. Omega 3 capsules and diet should be completely restricted in Vitiligo as Omega 3 triggers Vitiligo spots.
6. Soda bi carbonate found in aerated drinks are found to be triggering Vitiligo and should not be taken.
7. Copper glassful water helps in pigment deposition over skin. It is helpful and should be taken daily at least one glassful.
8. Figs & Dates are copper rich and are helpful in pigmentation so these are recommended in Vitiligo.
9. Vitamin D3 & Vitamin B12 are seen helpful in vitiligo but they should be taken from vegetarian/organic sources only.
We understand that Diet restriction has much important role in Vitiligo & Leucoderma. Its treatment also requires food restriction for proper healing of patches. The diet restrictions chart mentioned below is much elaborated and will provide clear restriction list to Vitiligo patients.
Diet related -
Curd, Tamarind, Raw Tomato, Raw Onion, Raw garlic, Brinjal, Papaya, Green chili, Pickles, Citrus fruits & Citrus fruit items / juices as oranges, lemon even grapes are strictly restricted. Fish and red meat should also be restricted. Oily / spicy food & non vegetarian food intake should be lowered. Milk & milk product intake to be lowered (not in case of kids). One should not take medicines containing Amla (Gooseberry - a rich source of Vit. C). . . Any eatable made of soda bi carb, stored sour things, junk food, tinned foods or drinks, chocolates, coffee or cocoa products should not be taken regularly.
Lifestyle related -
Tight fittings, which give marks on the skin, like elastic must be avoided which disturbs the skin blood circulation. Scratching, itching must be avoided. Any injury will give rise to new patch. Plastic and rubber wear should be avoided. Plastic Ornaments, Bindi or any Stickers on the skin should be avoided. Avoid playing or swimming in the sun between 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Diet chart for Vitiligo patients:
The ascorbic acid in citrus fruits tends to reduce melanin pigmentation. So the vitiligo patients are restricted to take the citrus foods. Non vegetarian food is also to be avoided as they act as a foreign body to pigment cells & animal protein could reduce re-pigmentation rate. It is better to avoid even the milk and milk products to some extent as the milk protein may decrease re-pigmentation rate. Chickpeas (black/red gram or desi chana), Greens and Red Radish, Beetroots, Carrots and Black dates may be taken. These are helpful in coverage of a white patch.